Firefox 4/5/6 Add-on Compatibility: Use Older Add-ons
When switching to Firefox 4 version, you lose several add-ons that you have been using so far. You want to be able to use at least a few important add-ons immediately in Firefox 4.
In Version 4 of Firefox, many add-ons are disabled by default because their compatibility has not been tested and released for version 4. Although suitable updates are offered for may plug-ins, there are other add-ons that are functional with Firefox 4 in several cases. In order to be able to see these, you must disable the compatibility check.
This can be done with the help of an advanced configuration setting.
- For this, type “about:config” in the address bar and press Enter.
- Confirm the displayed warning by clicking “I’ll be careful, I promise!”.
- Now right click in the window and select the context command “New -> Boolean”.
- Then enter the term “extensions.checkcompatibility.4.0” and press Enter.
- In the next dialog, select the setting “false” and click “OK”.
- Then close the tab with the configuration.
In future, all the old add-ons can now be formally installed. The specified setting does not ensure compatibility but bypasses the compatibility check. It is thus possible that the individual unchecked add-ons do not function correctly with Firefox 4/5/6. In such a case, you have no option but to wait for an update by the provider.
Note: The exact term of the additional entry depends on the Firefox version used which can be seen at the end of the name. The specified value refers to the end version. You then alternatively or additionally need the entry ‘extensions.checkcompatibility.4.0rc’ for the Release Candidate and ‘extensions.checkcompatibility.4.0b’ for the Beta version to which you assign the value ‘false’.
- Top 5 IE9 Add-ons
- How reliable are Mozilla’s new Add-on performance tests?
- Where is the Status Bar in Firefox [Solved]?
- 3 Amazing New Firefox 5 features : Download Firefox 5
- Focus Keyboard : Firefox Addon to enhance Computer Keyboard Functions
- IE, Firefox, Opera ! Change your default search engine
- Download Profiler: Firefox Addon to Categorize Downloads
- SEO: “Page Rank Checker” Extension for Google Chrome