Scan Hard Disk for Errors with HDD Scan
Earlier, I written a post on how to check for bad sectors, but if you need a freeware utility to scan hard disk for errors, HDDScan is more than a hard disk scanner. It’s a complete hard disk diagnostics utility. The software can test hard disk for errors (i.e both bad-blocks and bad sectors), show S.M.A.R.T attributes and change some HDD parameters such as AAM, APM etc. It can also perform read/write benchmark and monitor hard disk temperature.
HDDScan is a full drive scanner, where you cannot select individual partitions to scan, though it has a provision to specify the start and end sectors. Also, it’s different from Ariolic Disk Scanner, which is only a read-only mode scanner, while HDDScan can even write to the disk. To say not the least, it can also erase data from the disk. If you choose the incorrect option of erase, your data will be lost.
HDDScan comes with extra functionality, like carrying out a more in-depth analysis of your hard disk like benchmarking etc. One should remember that, both Ariolic Disk Scanner and HDDScan are only for detecting errors, but not fixing them. Both cannot repair hard disk errors, repair bad sectors or fix bad sectors. To fix bad sectors Windows built CHKDSK utility is more than enough.
Though HDDScan and Ariolic Disk Scanner can’t fix errors, one advantage they have over CHKDSK utility is that they allow the hard disk/partition to be scanned while the disk is in use.
Below is the list of features of HDDScan.
Supported storage devices:
- IDE (ATA) and SATA HDD.
- SCSI (SAS) HDD.
- External USB drives and all major USB boxes (see Appendix A).
- FireWire or IEEE 1394 HDD (see Appendix A).
- RAID volumes made of ATA (IDE) / SATA / SCSI HDDs (surface tests only).
- USB Flash (pen drives) – surface tests only.
- SATA / ATA SSD – solid state drives
Storage device tests:
- Verification in linear mode – helps to determine if your drive needs data rescue, has recoverable errors or in its perfect shape.
- Reading in linear mode – simpler, but faster disk check.
- Erasing in linear mode.
- Reading in Butterfly mode (synthetic random read).
- Reading and analyzing SMART parameters from ATA/SATA/USB/FireWire HDD.
- Reading and analyzing Log Pages from SCSI HDD.
- SMART tests running on ATA/SATA/USB/FireWire HDD.
- Temperature monitor for ATA/SATA/USB/FireWire/SCSI HDD.
- Reading and analyzing identity information from ATA/SATA/USB/FireWire/SCSI HDD.
- Changing AAM, APM, PM parameters on ATA/SATA/USB/FireWire HDD.
- Reporting defect information on SCSI HDD.
- Spindle start/stop function on ATA/SATA/USB/FireWire/SCSI HDD.
- Reports can be saved in MHT format.
- Reports can be printed.
- Skins support.
- Command line support.
- SSD SMART and Identity reports
- Check for Bad Sectors with Ariolic Disk Scanner
- Test Read/Write Speed : USB/Hard Disk/External HDD
- Checking Disk Space? — 3 Freeware Tools to check Disk Space Usage!
- Check USB/SD Card for Read/Write Errors : H2testw
- Windows 7 Partition Hard Drives
- How to Fix iPad Charging Problem
- Convert Multiple ISO Images into Single MultiBoot USB/ISO file using XBOOT
- Devcon problem in Windows 7 : [Solved]