Track your Laptop for free using Prey
There are many instances when your costly laptop gets stolen. You post a complaint with the police station and you get no response. Now, you can automatically track your laptop using an free open source software called Prey.
To use Prey, download the client software, install and register an account – this you need to access the service’s Web based control panel. Prey is able to collect lot of information from your laptop, in case it is stolen or missing.
The information it can collect are -
- its MAC address and current IP
- nearby wireless access points
- session activity, including screenshots of the active desktop
- detailed hardware information, including serial number(s)
- geolocation data via GPS or Wi-Fi
- a webcam (or front-facing camera) image
Prey’s reporting and action modules
Information gathered by Prey about Gateway notebook : Source
The web control panel allows you to perform some remote actions in case the laptop goes missing.
It locks the device.
It sounds an alarm for 30 seconds.
It gives the thief a oral warning (wallpaper based)
It even deletes browser cookies, saved passwords and hides your emails.
It’s alarm is like a police siren, which is very irritating.
Prey is totally free for 3 devices, and premium plans are offered for businesses.
- A Free Offline Diary: Software
- Beware of Ask! ToolBar
- Best Windows 7 Apps for Free!
- Format Factory 2.0! Free Software to Convert VCD/*.dat TO DVD/*.vob
- Call US-Canada cell-phone free from India-UK-Asia or Anywhere in the World
- Microsoft Security Essentials Review : Free for Genuine Windows