Save/Store Office Docs Online with Google Docs and Google Apps
In these days of networking age, it is useful to store/save office docs like word,excel, presentations online. This online sharing of documents and presentations can be useful to share and edit the documents online. OffiSync is a free add-in for Microsoft Office 2003, 2007 and 2010 users which enables users to significantly improve the way they create, collaborate and share their documents online. You can integrate Microsoft Office with Google Docs and Google Apps. One can save the Office 2010 & Office 2007 documents, spreadsheets, presentations directly to Google Docs from Microsoft Office products.
- Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7 operating systems.
- Microsoft .net framework 3.5
- Office 2003, Office 2007 or Office 2010
- Create a Google Account.
- Create Google Docs Account
- Create Google Apps Account with your own domain.
Close all Office applications before running the installation. Run the downloaded setup file.
New Ribbon/Menu in Office 2010 & Office 2007/Office 2003
Once you install this add-in, there will be a new ribbon in Office 2007 and Office 2010. It looks like the below screenshot.
Click on Settings and you are asked to choose a Google Account for Google Docs or Google Apps.
Enter the User/Email and Password for your google account. Please type the complete email address like email@example.com and its password.
Once you enter your Google credentials, Google Docs and Google Sites are connected. Google Sites only works with your own domain. Now you can use the Save and Save As features in the new OffiSync ribbon to store or save the documents in Google Docs or Google Sites.
The add-in seems to be simple and the instructions on the download page are also simple. It creates a good interface for working with the settings and saving the documents.
The cons list to be more than the pros.
1. If you want to retain the office file format and save the document, spreadsheet or presentation, in Google Docs, you get this message shown in the screenshot. Saving Office files in their native format on Google Docs is only supported for Google Apps Premier Edition customer. This means, that you need to pay for the Premier edition to use this support.
2. I tried to save a excel sheet, which is existing in Google Docs. This created an error as shown in the screenshot and it deleted the existing spreadsheet with the same name.
3. I tried to delete some documents that are existing on Google Sites. When I right clicked to delete, this is the screenshot I got. Also saving the documents on Google Sites works on a trial basis, as you have to buy OffiSync Premier edition to continue unlimitedly.
Thanks for reading the post.
- Microsoft Office 2010 Version & Price Comparison
- “Cannot find the file Wordret.msi” – Error Installing Office XP SP-1
- [Tutorial] Google Adsense Tips : Get Account and Make Money Online: India and China users too!
- Convert PDF to RTF or Microsoft Word format: Online tool for conversion.
- Sync bookmarks online – Windows Live Mesh
- Top Windows 7 Apps