Devcon problem in Windows 7 : [Solved]
If you are using “devcon”, which is a small command-line utility for managing device drivers in Windows OS, you’re in bad luck if you’re working on Windows 7. Though most people tend to use ‘”Device Manager” graphical utility to update, install or remove the drivers in their Windows OS, sometimes it becomes a necessary to use the command-line utitlity “devcon”, to fix certain problems. Some examples of these problems are like when you use scripting and when Windows Server installed on Server core option etc.
Features of Devcon:
1. All the device driver functionality that comes with “Device Manager” graphical utility including advanced functionality such as,
a. disable device.
b. select one specific driver for specific device etc.
Cons of Devcon
1. It is simply not available as a out-of-box tool. You cannot find the tool very easily.
2. The complexity of the syntax is hard to understand.
OK. These are some of the features and introduction of devcon. Let’s see, how it works in Windows 7. On googling devcon, I found a forum post, which says found problem working with devcon in Windows 7.
1. Download the Windows Driver Kit (WDK) 7.1.0 from Microsoft. Download here. It’s an ISO image of hundreds of MB size.
2. Use Universal Extractor 6.1, to extract the ISO to a temporary file on your hard disk.
3. Using Universal Extractor again, extract the windows installer file “”WDK\setuptools_x64fre.msi“” to a temp directory. If it’s a 32 bit version, the file name may be little different.
4. In the temp installer file, you will find “WinDDK\7600.16385.win7_wdk.100208-1538\tools\devcon\amd64\devcon.exe“. This devcon works fine, under W7x64 Pro.
- Windows 7 Power Problem Solutions : Sleep Mode & Energy Report
- How to Fix iPad Charging Problem
- Windows 7 Graphic Problems : Flaw in the Graphics Driver
- USB Mouse Not Recognized on Windows 7 : Solution
- iPhone 4 Reception: Problem & Solution
- Windows 7: Create System Restore Point
- Windows 7: BackUp and Restore
- Disable Windows 7 Taskbar Preview! It Works!