Beware of iPad Malware in the form of iTunes Update
I have already written a few reviews on iPad. Now the iPad has become a target for malware. The new attack comes in the form of iTunes update. This malware does not affect Mac users, but only affects Windows users. According to BitDefender, a security expert in this field,
This particular threat comes in the form of an unsolicited e-mail, promising to keep iPad software updated “for best performance, newer features and security”. Via a conveniently provided link, the email instructs iPad users to download the latest version of iTunes software to their PCs as a preliminary step to update their iPad software. The download page to which users are directed is a perfect imitation of the one they would use for legitimate iTunes software downloads.
BitDefender has identified this malware as Backdoor.Bifrose.AADY, this piece of malware code, without any intention downloaded injects itself into the explorer.exe process and opens a backdoor that allows unauthorized access to and control over the computer system.Moreover, the malware tries to read the keys and serial numbers of various software installed on the affected computer, while also logging the victim’s ICQ, Messenger, POP3 mail accounts, and protected storage.
To avoid falling victim to this malware, BitDefender recommends the following actions.
- Download software only from the official site i.e www.apple.com
- Install and keep updating a reliable antimalware, firewall solution and spam filter.
- Run a complete antimalware scan before copying any file to your system, even if the file is from a trusted source.
- Scan your system day-to-day.
Though this malware tries to affect iPad owners, it doe not affect the iPad itself in anyway.
- Beware of Microsoft Update KB971033: Windows Activation Technologies
- iPad Cons Review: Cover Flow
- What are Apple iPad Specifications : A Review
- How to jailbreak Apple iPad: Demo with YouTube Video
- Malware Removal Software for Windows
- What are the iPad Features: Review
- Cons of iPad : Some facts and reviews
- Beware of Microsoft Technical Support